The “Friends of Olive Oil” in Greece announced the Olive Challenge, the first “innovation and entrepreneurship competition” for the olive sector last week at a press conference in Athens.
A contest designed to contribute to the creation of new services and products and enhance sustainable entrepreneurship practices in the sector.
Vaggelis Divaris, the president of the Olive Oil Scientific Society FILAIOS, said the point of the competition is to develop and upgrade the olive oil sector through the introduction of innovation, sustainable development and support for start-up companies.
Olive Challenge, he said, “was designed to contribute to the creation of new services and products and enhance sustainable entrepreneurship practices in the sector, by enhancing the extroversion of olive oil and table olives and the growth of synergies and inter-sectoral cooperation.”
“Olive Challenge, is a contest about innovation,” said Panagiotis Karantonis, deputy director of SEVITEL. “We believe, that this way we will assist the olives and olive oil sector, as the contest covers all the stages from the fields to the shelves — and innovation will provide the necessary boost for the products of the industry.”
“We will motivate young entrepreneurs and start-ups to enter the market or improve their existing business,” he added.
Some of the area the competition welcomes ideas for are:
- New technologies implemented in the primary, secondary and tertiary sector
- Green technologies
- Usage of new, environmental-friendly products
- The reduction of carbon footprint in the cultivation, standardization and distribution of olive-oil products
- Reduction of energy consumption in one or more stages of the production and marketing of olive products
- Total waste management systems
- Methods to track and control loads
- Waste exploitation systems
- The process of producing innovative final products for the shelf
The application for the contest, as well its regulations, advisory committee members and sponsors, are posted online.