Even though the agreement signed in 2012 between ICE Italtrade and Unaprol as part of the Ministry of Economic Development ‘s program officially ended last year, the two Italian corporations are still working in close partnership to boost Italian olive oil’s export.
The demand for quality Italian oil from markets (and neighboring countries) that were included in the agreement’s activities is still growing, thus proving its effectiveness. Recently, Unaprol general manager Pietro Sandali and ICE Agency’s GM Roberto Luongo met to discuss new pathways to internationalization.
Research by Unaprol’s Economic Observatory highlights the rise in Italian quality extra virgin olive oil in countries where the agreement’s activities were carried out.
The results show Italy holding a leading position in the olive oil market in countries such as USA, Canada, Japan, Hong Kong, Austria and Singapore, and it stands among the 4 top exporting countries to Brasil, China, Korea, India and Russia; but even there, Italy holds the first place regarding extra virgin olive oil and the value of the exported product.
Below is a summary of the Italian virgin olive oil market worldwide, according to Unaprol statement, showing the main importing countries:
- USA – Italy holds a market share of 51 percent, with exports up 2 percent in 2013.
- AUSTRIA – Italy is the market leader in 2013 with a 48 percent share.
- BRASIL – Italy is the fourth-largest virgin oil supplier to Brazil with 7 percent of the market, following Portugal, Spain and Argentina. There was an increase of 2 percent from 2012 to 2013.
- CANADA – Italy is in pole position with a market share of 70 percent in 2013, and an increasing trend since 2009.
- CHINA – Italy is the second-largest virgin oil supplier. In 2013 the market share was 21 percent. Value and volume data show a steady growth from 2012 (+16 percent)
- KOREA – Italy is the second-largest virgin oil supplier and there has been remarkable growth from 2012 to 2013 (+14 percent volume and +37 percent value).
- JAPAN – Italy is the market leader in 2013 with a 45 percent share and a growth of 6 percent.
- HONG KONG – Italy is the main virgin oil supplier, maintaining the same share between 2012 and 2013.
- INDIA – Italy is the second-largest virgin oil supplier on the Indian market after Spain.
- RUSSIA – Italy is the second virgin oil supplier with a 26 percent market share. Imported quantities grew of 18 percent in 2013 compared to 2012.
- SINGAPORE – Italy is the main virgin oil supplier, with an increase from 2012 to 2013 both for the volume and for the value.