Deoleo USA issued a voluntary recall withdrawing some of its Bertolli and Carapelli Extra Light Tasting and Bertolli Classico Pure Olive Oil because the products may have prematurely spoiled, according to notices sent to several major retailers.
“Our investigation to date reveals that the oil has prematurely oxidized, causing potential off odor and taste, which presents a quality but not a health issue,” the company said. “We have identified the source of the problem with one of our refining suppliers and have taken immediate corrective action.”
Last week, in response to an Italian investigation into allegations of fraud, the producer of Bertolli said, said its “products and processes meet the highest quality standards” and that the company “strictly respects all the laws and regulations relating to food security in all the countries in which it operates.”
The company noted the recall was initiated as a “precautionary measure.” The withdrawn products were distributed in the United States from January, 2015 through May, 2015.
The recalled products are:
Find the world's best olive oils near you.
- Bertolli Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil 17 fl oz (500ml) (UPC code 41790 00420)
- Bertolli Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil 25.5 fl oz (750ml) (UPC code 41790 22093)
- Bertolli Classico Pure Olive Oil 17 fl oz (500ml) (UPC code 41790 00140)
- Bertolli Classico Pure Olive Oil 25.5 fl oz (750ml) (UPC Code 41790 22106)
- Bertolli Classico Pure Olive Oil 169 fl oz (5 liter) (UPC Code 41790 00195)
- Carapelli Extra Light Olive Oil 17 fl oz (500ml) (UPC Code 19521 23703)
- Carapelli Extra Light Olive Oil 25.5 oz (750ml) (UPC Code 19521 24131)
- I/O Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil 17 oz. (500 ml) (UPC Code 41790 00160)